Tuesday, October 14, 2003

it has indeed been an enriching day. lemme share what i've learnt in chronological order.. haha.. :P

BY4103... my lab module... the lect was quite dull. haha. fell asleep here n there. but then the video session was cool. our lecturer showed us about stem cell applications in the medical arena (broadcasted by discovery channel.. hm, think i ought to spend more time watching this channel.. haa..). it's totally out of this world. think of taking stem cells from the bone marrow n putting them into the failing heart's weak muscle to strengthen it. talk about the wonders of the cell! here, the stem cell just begins to mimick the heart cells.. wow!

then after lect, me bumped into a fren, went with her to lib for a while. she showed me this book called "Improve Your Grades" by Veltisezan B. Bantista (all rights n credits need to b given to this inspirational writer!)... lemme share with u excerpts from his book, may they encourage u n boost u up for the coming final exams *dread*.. haha.. do read.. they're really good!

An American Creed
I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon if I can. I seek opportunity - not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen: humbled, dulled, by having the State look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and build; to fail or succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole.
I prefer the challenge of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the state calm of utophia.
I will not trade freedom for benevolence, nor my dignity for a handout.
I will never lower before any master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act for myself; enjoy the benefits of my creation, and to face the world boldly and say:
This I have done!
--- Anonymous ---

chim eh.. okie, now for a language that we really understand, n a dose that we need desperately...

The same book, but the author took it from the Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino...

I will persist until I succeed.
Henceforth, I will consider each day's effort as but one blow of my blade against a mighty oak. The first blow may cause not a tremor in the wood, nor the second, nor the third. Each blow, of itself, may be trifling, and seem of no consequence. Yet from childish swipes the oak will eventually tumble. So it will be with my effort of today.
I will be likened to the raindrop which washes away the mountain; the ant who devours a tiger; the star which brightens the earth; the slave who builds the pyramid. I will build my castle one brick at a time for I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking.
I will persist until I succeed.

And this is an excerpt from the book itself... actually i've heard the story many times before, n i'm sure most of you hav too.. but well, the last sentence, how the author actually draws the analogy from the story to apply to the students really struck me...

A man once asked three labourers what they were doing. The first labourer said, "I'm laying a brick." The second labourer gave a similar response. The third labourer said, "I'm building a church!" The third labourer was enthusiastic; he was inspired because he was building a church! And when you're studying, you're not just reading books and taking notes. You're making your own destiny!

SO GIDDY UP, PEOPLE! Time to look at study life at a totally new perspective. ;)

No comments: