Thursday, October 13, 2005

Today I'm decidedly in a sad dreamy mood. I even alighted from the bus before it reached the interchange so that I could take a good walk to inspect what it was that had thrown me into such a swing today. It's sad, I gather, but I could do nothing. It will pass, I'm sure. Patience. Time. Both are neither my strength at the moment.

Anyway, happier were the times that I could go to see the Vatican Journey of Faith before its last day on 9th Oct. They had a free entrance at 7pm on 8th Oct (Sat) so my friends and I headed down there to see it. First time for them, a second one for me. I wanted to slowly enjoy every single piece. Alas, there was a long queue, which means a lot of people. How typical! And I fell into the same lot with these people. How pathetic indeed! So what right do I have to say of them, when all I am doing is pointing the finger and saying it right to my own face? *laugh* Well, a lady from the museum was nice enough to distract us from our true journey to tell us about other cultures and we learnt so much from her, things that we did not know before. For instance, the Muslims are not allowed to depict humans or animals in their art motifs, so their works are mostly floral in nature.

After our late night museum tour (for that special night, the Asian Civilisation Museum was open 24 hours), we walked down Boat Quay and had Coffee Beans. It was ages since I last stepped into a Coffee Beans outlet, more still the one in Boat Quay. It was one of the first Coffee Beans that I went to. It was a good time, hanging out with the brothers, inducing girls' talk into them: eg. What is the ideal age for marriage? What are the characteristics you are looking out for? And I am ever thankful for NR3, my night-rider bus that stops right below my block.

My second taste of expensive coffee last week was the day after, ie Sunday. I went down to Marine Parade to have a potluck with my friends from the Japan tour. Since I was early, I decided to check out the Starbucks that a friend mentioned to be outside the library. Now, I knew that there was a Starbucks inside the library, but not the one outside. According to my friend, it was a great hang-out place, esp to spend a quiet afternoon reading. And it really is. However, my impression of Starbucks drinks has not improved. My first ever Starbucks was a Cafe Latte, which I did not add any sugar so it was all too bitter for my liking, and that day I tried their Tazo Chai Latte because someone recommended that. Not that I dislike the taste, rather there was too much ice. I felt that I paid more for the ice than the drink itself, so I was rather sore over that.

Anyway, speaking of potluck, had a similar version of that at Fongky's last Friday too. Alex and I went over, and I was supposed to cook grilled chicken with mashed potato on the side. Yet somehow it felt like Alex did much more of the cooking than me. *laugh* He's such a capable guy. And my grilled chicken didn't look anywhere near to how Sally did hers. And some more, hers seemed so much effortless than mine. Sigh, I have much to learn in this area. Just thank God that the chicken did not come out too hard or dry. It was still juicy and, on the whole, edible. :)

Well, so much for being back from Japan, and missing Japan. Work has started for me, and it's uphill all the way. Oh, and I'm pondering whether it's wise for me to get a bicycle, then I can cycle to work every day. Then I won't have to wait for the overcrowded 199 every morning, or to rush out of the house early enough to catch a relatively empty bus. On top of that I can save quite a lot of money. Hm...

p/s: O yea, it may have been the Chinese movies' effect, or the song. I watched Jackie Chan's The Myth, and Sammi Cheng's Everlasting Regret. Both ended quite sadly, and I have the song from The Myth stuck in my head.

No comments: